root unable to delete

Greetings All,

I had a machine get hacked on RH 7.2
Whoever did it made some changes to files
and did something to the file that does not
all me to delete the file, when I am logged
in as root and the file is owned by root and
is in the group of root and is set as 755 .
I can't even edit and save the changes to the
file.

Can someone tell me how they did it ?

I have removed the machine and rebuilt it but
I would love to know how it was done.

Thanks all,
Mike