Re: Multi-port ethernet

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:18, John d'Alelio wrote:
> To all,
>
> Does anyone know how Linux assigns the "eth?"  designation?  I have a
> server with 4 ethernet ports.  Two are on-board and two are cards.  Doe=
> Linux do this by lowest to highest MAC address? or does it start with t=
he
> cards and use the on-board ports last?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

It does it in the order they are probed ie. the first card probed is eth0=
, the=20
second is eth1 and so on.=20

This does not necessarily mean that the cards will be probed in any parti=
cular=20
order though. I have a couple of boxes where the onboard cards were probe=
d=20
first, and a couple of boxes where they were probed second.

You can put aliases into you /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules depe=
nding=20
on your flavour of linux) that specify which driver eth0-<n> will use. I=20
think that gives you some control over which cards become which device. F=
or=20
example, if you had an Intel and a 3Com card, you could alias the Intel t=
o=20
eth0 and the 3Com to eth1. This should force the Intel to eth0 and the 3C=
om=20
to eth1 regardless of the order they are probed in.

Hope that helps (and that I didn't make too many mistakes!)

Cheers,
Paul.