Presentation

--- Re=E7u de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77           08/10/02 14=
.54

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:15:23 -0500
Subject: Presentation

>Hello to everyone.

Hello.

>This is my first post in this list and let me introduce myself.
>My name is Joaquin Durand. I've installed a PC with RedHat 7.2 in order
>to experiment and learn a little. I have little experience with unix
>systems.

>So far everything is OK with my RedHat server, I successfully installed
>IP Masquerade following the instructions in the "Linux IP Masquerade
>HOWTO" and I'm sharing my DSL with a Mac and a Windows PC.

Now read the IPTABLES HOWTO - v.important

>Since then, I'm getting constantly these in the messages log:

>Oct  7 20:59:16 Linolio kernel: IN=3Dppp0 OUT=3D MAC=3D SRC=3D64.172.12=
0.252
>DST=3D200.67.218.219 LEN=3D78 TOS=3D0x00 PREC=3D0x00 TTL=3D113 ID=3D509=
88 PROTO=3DUDP
>SPT=3D1025 DPT=3D137 LEN=3D58

Destination port, DPT is 137 and its UDP. From

netbios-ns      137/tcp    NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/udp    NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp    NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp    NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp    NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp    NETBIOS Session Service

>The origin IP changes all the time. I'm a little worried about the
>security of my server. It seems that somebody is trying to get access
>through the web server but using Windows commands  :-D  (hahaha)
>But my concern is about the messages log, I don't know how to interpret
>the log and I'm afraid that someone is trying to brake in.

>Could somebody guide me and tell me what to do in order to make sure my
>server is secure?
>Thank you very much.

>- Joaquin!

After reading the IPTABLES HOWTO, set a rule (or rules) to drop anything
to your machine that you haven't initiated.

Do a Google on RH7.2 +securing and you'll get a load of sites.

Rgs,

Matt