Problems denying incoming packets

Hello,

        I'm a computer science student and I work with linux based
servers at Gruponet Tecnologia ( www.gruponet.com.br
www.gntecnologia.com).

        Well, I'm using ipchains to set up my firewall and I have the
follow situation:

        In my rc.firewall I'm setting some accept rules for machines
that
I give access to the server with this sintax:

ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.xxx/32 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 192.168.0.yyy/32 -j ACCEPT

        And after, I deny all others machine to access the server with
this rule:

ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j DENY

        Well, this works fine, but in one server, for an example, when a
user (in my intranet [via nat]) try to send an e-mail using an extern
smtp, he is losting the connection with the smtp server and I note the
follow:

        When the Deny rule is set, the ipchains log shows me more or
less
this:
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...

        When its not setted, the log shows:

... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=578 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=578 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=578 ...
... Packet Log........ L=1500 ...
... Packet Log........ L=578 ...

        Is it a problem with packet fragmentation?

        What can I do to correct it?

Thanks a LOT!

PS: Sorry my bad English.
--