Re: difference on linux advanced server...

    I have a copy at work, haven't installed it yet.  It has some added
functions and kernel modifications.  It also has a much longer release cycle
so there are fewer patches and updates and they are more thoroughly tested
when there are releases.  Here is some info from Redhat's site:

http://www.redhat.com/software/advancedserver/
Performance and scalability enhancements
Red Hat Linux Advanced Server kernel enhancements provide dramatic new
"scale-up" capabilities--allowing you to realize full performance from
today's modern servers:

  a.. Asynchronous I/O support: Applications no longer need to pause after
issuing read I/Os until they are complete.

  b.. Increased SMP granularity: Particularly in the SCSI I/O subsystem,
permitting increased I/O throughput in SMP systems with multiple I/O
adapters.

  c.. SMP Scheduler enhancements: Support process-CPU affinity, which
improves performance by increasing the CPU cache hit-rate and greatly
reducing spinlock contention in SMP systems.

  d.. Bounce Buffer Elimination: Greatly reduces I/O-related memory copy
operations in large memory systems (>1GB memory).

High availability enhancements
Red Hat Linux Advanced Server features a sophisticated high availability
clustering technology called Cluster Manager. Cluster Manager provides an
application failover infrastructure that can be used by a wide range of
applications, including:

  a.. Most custom and mainstream commercial applications
  b.. File and print serving
  c.. Databases and database applications
  d.. Messaging applications
  e.. Internet and Open Source application

With Cluster Manager, these applications can be deployed in high
availability configurations so that they are always operational; bringing
"scale-out" capabilities to enterprise Linux deployments.

For high-volume open-source applications, such as NFS, Samba and Apache,
Cluster Manager provides a complete ready-to-use failover solution. For most
other applications customers create custom failover scripts using provided
templates. Red Hat Professional Services can provide custom Cluster Manager
deployment services where required - please contact Sales for additional
details.

Cluster Manager features
  a.. NFS/CIFS Failover: Supports highly available file serving in Unix and
Windows environments.

  b.. Fully Shared Storage Subsystem: All cluster members have access to the
same storage.

  c.. Comprehensive Data Integrity guarantees: Using the latest I/O barrier
technology, such as programmable power switches and watchdog timers.

  d.. SCSI and Fibre Channel support: Cluster Manager configurations can be
deployed using latest SCSI and Fibre Channel technology. Multi-terabyte
configurations can readily be made highly available.

  e.. Service failover: Cluster Manager not only ensures hardware shutdowns
or failures are detected and recovered from automatically, but will also
monitor your applications to ensure they are running correctly, and will
restart them automatically if they fail.
Michael French