Re: Logging IPTables to file using syslogd

(Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:25 pm) Pyuesh Daya wrote:

> I have an iptables firewall, and i am looking at logging on the firewall logs into the seperate file using syslogd, at present moment, it is being logged to the messages file and and file call firewall.  My syslod.conf file is as follows :
>
> kern.*                          -/var/log/firewall

by default iptables LOG will log into kern.warning, you can simply put:
kern.warning	/var/log/iptables.log

there is a --log-level <level> parameters on the iptables that you can selectively selec the
level for syslog output (I suggest alert)

> How do I change this so the logging is done to seperate files.

there is a good syslog replacement, syslog-ng which has a feature to filter syslog output
based on some criteria (host, program and messages with regex matches), its at
http://www.balabit.hu
or msyslog, you can find it on sourceforge.net

--
Diyan Christian
@ IN SOA lug.stikom.edu. oblek.lug.stikom.edu.

"With great power, comes a great responsibility"
			- Ben Parker -