Re: Variable in iptable

Hi,

IP tables get run from a shell one way or another and most shell's allow
you to define variables (and it is the shell, not ip tables that will do
the variable replacement.

I normally setup my firewall scripts in a bash script.  You could do
something like this:

#!/bin/sh

NETWORK="192.168.1.0/24"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
ROUTER="23.4.56.32"
SECURENET="23.4.56.48/28"

iptables -A input -s $NETWORK -d $SECURENET -j ACCEPT

All the stuff above is fake (and pretty meaningless) but you can use
something like that to make your scripts more readable and easily to
modify.

Sheer