Re: chkrootkit

I've noticed on recent versions of redhat some of the packet dumping
software does not throw the nic in PROMISC mode.  I haven't tested this
with snort, but I have seen it with tcpdump(it's in the man pages).=20
Superuser has to put the nic in promisc mode before you can dump packtes
on the "any interface".  Not sure if this is a library or something
tcpdump is doing itself, however the tcpdump man page says since later
versions of the 2.2 kernel and newer so I would assume  it is probably
the libraries doing it for tcpdump.  You may want to make double sure
snort really has the nic in PROMISC mode.

--rat