Port Scan Question (kinda urgent)

Hi,

I need some advice.

I am working on a friend "firewall" is an RH7.0
he had it running with ipchains. I upgraded the kernel
to 2.4.18 and now has iptables. The problem is
that when I scan locally i see only ssh open:

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1522 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0 seconds

But when I scan from a remote computer i see this:

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on x.x.x.x  (x.x.x.x):
(The 1517 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
137/tcp    filtered    netbios-ns
138/tcp    filtered    netbios-dgm
139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn
1080/tcp   filtered    socks
8888/tcp   filtered    sun-answerbook

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12 seconds

samba is not running there. netstat does not show
any unusual connection's. the computer does not have lsof installed.

if i do a ps ax i dont see a socks process either.

The worst part was that I tried to use a program i found
called chkrootkit-0.35, that did not find anything until the computer
hung up at "Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a
while..."

Now if I do a ps it never never completes, i never get
the root #  back. The program stooped when it got to
Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
Now the computer does not even respond when i send a reboot
command.

I tried this chkrootkit-0.35 on other computers and it never did that.

The guy does not have tripwire or anything like that.

My guess is that this computer was rooted before i got to it.

Any feed back is welcomed

David Correa
Public Key http://www.linux-tech.com/linuxtech.asc
Key fingerprint 7F2C E072 479D 71B4 008B 373E A284 8CDE 7659 F5D8