From: listadmin@linuxsecurity.com [mailto:listadmin@linuxsecurity.com]On
Behalf Of steve nutt
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 2:31 AM
To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com
Subject: IRC

I have been reading for sometime now postings to this group and have enjoyed
the discussions! I have questions about IRC.

 I have always wanted to try IRC, but have never set it up and never
participated in any irc chats. Is internet relay chat safe? Safe meaning
secure? If I set up an IRC client how unsecure is my box? I don't know much
about it but have always been courious? Am I being over cautious? What are
the security concerns when running IRC?

What is an IRC bot ? It seems allot of what I read about exploits on SANS,
security focus, etc are based on boxes running IRC. What firewall rule
should be set inplace if I allow port 13 open for IRC?
Other than not running IRC as root, but only as a user are there any other
"BEST PRACTICES" in connection with IRC that I should observe before I go
down this road?

Sincerely:
Steve