Re: Single user mode changing root passwd ?

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Allan M. Stewart wrote:
> I was surprised to learn that I could boot into single user mode and reset a
> forgotten root password. Isn't this a huge security hole? What am I missing?
Allan,

If you read "man lilo.conf" you will see that you can put a passwd
to limit access globally (all images) or per image.

You can also put a passwd on the BIOS, take out your CDROM and your
floppy drive.

But in reality, if someone has physical access to the computer, enough
time  and  bad intentions is hard to stop them from "owning/harming" your
computer.

This is the same for most computers systems.

David Correa
Public Key http://www.linux-tech.com/linuxtech.asc
Key fingerprint 7F2C E072 479D 71B4 008B 373E A284 8CDE 7659 F5D8