Re: Core dumps

From: BUNTER MATTHEW <Matthew.Bunter@renaultvi.com>

> My question is this : I seem to be getting core dumps frequently
> and I want to determine what initiated them i.e. if it was
> Ethereal or something else. I remeber reading somewhere that there
> was a method of diagnosing where a core dump came from.
>
>  Also if anyone knows how to 'read' a core dump or any tools that
> allow this I would be interested.

These 2 commands usually tell you what program produced a core.  The
results may occasionally differ because the _ variable is the last
program executed by the shell and it may have run something else which
died.

file core

strings - core | grep _=

Once you know this you are in a position to start using gdb (particularly
if you have source).