Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:34:54 +0100
Subject: authentication server

hello,

I need to setup an authentication server as follows:

+-----------+     __________     +----------------+
|           |    (          )    |                |
|  CLIENT   +---{  INTERNET  }---+ AUTHENTICATION |
|           |    (__________)    |                |
+-----------+                    +--------+-------+

       +------------------+---------------+--+
       |                  |                  |
   +---+--------+     +---+--------+     +---+--------+
   |            |     |            |     |            |
   |  SERVER 1  |     |  SERVER 2  |     |  SERVER 3  |
   |            |     |            |     |            |
   +------------+     +------------+     +------------+

The clients should be able to authenticate themselves with user /
password, and then, the authentication server opens connection for
this specific client to some servers / ports.

Some notes about the clients:

* The clients are around the world, so I am not able to install
specific software, most of them are windooze users. Authentication
should be possible over http / java.

* Also, the clients can come from the same ip, especially, if some of
them work in the same company and are surfing the net over a gateway
which does nat.

Any hints in which direction I could go? I looked at squid / openldap
but I am not sure, if squid is possible to do something like this.

I would appreciate your comments

Jan