Re: Messages Log: Questions

These are not _linux security questions_ but I will
try to help you.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, samson swanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this in my /var/log/messages
>
> Nov  8 23:23:45 syspac kernel: attempt to access
> beyond end of device
> Nov  8 23:23:45 syspac kernel: 02:00: rw=0, want=10,
> limit=4
> Nov  8 23:23:45 syspac kernel: dev 02:00 blksize=512
> blocknr=19 sector=19 size=5
> 12 count=1

They mean "attempt to access beyond end of device".
Something (probably some metadata on the
disk, like directory entry or control block) said "the inode you want is
at this position", the filesystem said "ok, accessing it now", the device
driver said "hey, that's not anywhere on the surface of this disk"

It's likely to be caused by damaged meta-information
(filesystem structure data) on the disk.

> Nov  6 18:22:40 syspac kernel: cmpci: version
> v2.41-nomodem time 13:59:57 Jun 23
>  2001
>
> I use a usr robotics external modem. I never installed
> any modem modules. I just use a serial port. What is
> this.  It shows after I connect in log.

they get loaded when needed

> This one is routine just wondering what it means
> -- MARK --
> I know this is no security breach but what does it mean?

Have a look at the syslogd(8) manual page (man 8 syslogd)

 -m interval
    The syslogd logs a mark timestamp  regularly.  The default interval
    between two -- MARK -- lines is 20 minutes.  This can be changed
    with this option. Setting the interval to zero turns it off
    entirely.

David Correa RHCE CCNA    _    _ _  _ _  _ _  _    ___ ____ ____ _  _
tech@linux-tech.com       |    | |\ | |  |  \/      |  |___ |    |__|
http://www.linux-tech.com |___ | | \| |__| _/\_     |  |___ |___ |  |