Problem with GDB and threads

On a RH 7.2 s/390 system I'm trying to track down a squid problem I'm
having.  When squid cores all I get from the backtrace is

#0  0x4025f9de in kill () at soinit.c:56
#1  0x4016f360 in raise (sig=6) at signals.c:65
#2  0x40261124 in abort () at ../sysdeps/generic/abort.c:88
#3  0x004967e2 in strcpy () at soinit.c:56

This is incomplete.  I don't know, but I think it may have something to
do with these messages:

Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.0...done.

warning: Unable to set global thread event mask: generic error
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 16999)]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot enable thread event reporting for Thread 1024 (LWP 16999):
generic error

glibc-2.2.4-32
gdb-5.1-1

Any ideas?
~ Daniel

GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.1-1)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "s390-redhat-linux"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `(squid) -D'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libssl.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libssl.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypto.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypto.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.0...done.

warning: Unable to set global thread event mask: generic error
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 6952)]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot enable thread event reporting for Thread 1024 (LWP 6952): generic
error
Reading symbols from /lib/librt.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/librt.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libresolv.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnsl.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
#0  0x4025f9de in kill () at soinit.c:56
56      soinit.c: No such file or directory.
        in soinit.c
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4025f9de in kill () at soinit.c:56
#1  0x4016f360 in raise (sig=6) at signals.c:65
#2  0x40261124 in abort () at ../sysdeps/generic/abort.c:88
#3  0x004969d6 in strcpy () at soinit.c:56
(gdb)

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.