Re: [Redhat-s390-list] rhsetup issues

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:42:27PM -0500, shall@uneb.edu wrote:
> Hello, just an fyi on some issues I ran into with the last iteration of
> updates.
>  - I was having a problem with rhsetup not creating a boot file but
> appearing to complete successfully. What I discovered was that the install
> process would successfully build the root (/) filesystem, but we had root
> defined on "our" dasdb device and the install assumes that it is on dasda,
> cant find the required file, doesn't build the boot image and continues on.
> By changing our disk order in the parm file and rerunning the install we
> built the boot successfully.

Ok, we will fix this.

> - the second issue is that dasd formatting, as performed by rhsetup via the
> panel, does not work. It appears to run ok, but takes way too little time,
> and gives major problems if you start the ftp download. A minor side issue
> is that it is not possible to preformat the disks before invoking rhsetup
> because, until rhsetup has had a chance to try the dasd format the device
> major no (94) for dasd is not present in the /proc/devices file.
> Our workaround was to invoke rhsetup, follow the install screens until the
> ftp install showed up and then cancel out of the process. The dasda and
> dasdb devices could then be formatted, a mke2fs was run on dasda1, and a
> mkswap was run on dasdb1. Then rhsetup was reinvoked and ran just fine.

At the moment we try to be smart and not format devices which are
already formatted. We will add an option to the installation and also
to the param file to force formatting of the dasd device in future
releases.

Thanks for your feedback,

Florian La Roche

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]