Re: [Redhat-s390-list] OpenAFS compile problems due to incorrect /boot/kernel.h

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:32:31PM -0800, Michael Durket wrote:
> In trying to compile OpenAFS, I've run into an error compiling the
> loadable kernel module. It appears to be due to the fact that
> rc.sysinit does not setup a correct /boot/kernel.h at startup.
> In particular, definitions for __BOOT_KERNEL_ENTERPRISE,
> __BOOT_KERNEL_UP, and __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP are missing. Also, it
> appears that /usr/include/linux/rhconfig.h does not match
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.18/include/linux/rhconfig.h (in the latter,
> the s390 defs in the former seem to be left out).
>

> The code in rc.sysinit to correctly set these values is bypassed
> by a test for the architecture being "s390". Removing this test
> wouldn't help, because the next few statements that set KERNEL_TYPE,
> etc won't work, because of the peculiar form of the uname string in the
> s390 version (with vrdr, SMP instead of smp, etc).
>
> My questions are these:
>
>   1) Is there any reason that /usr/include/linux/rhconfig.h and
>      /usr/src/linux-2.2.18/include/linux/rhconfig.h should not
>      match exactly? (They do on the Intel version of RedHat 7.0
>      except for one statement).
>
>      Would making them match cause problems building the kernel
>      or other kernel modules?

They should match. Are the symlinks in /usr/src/ setup correctly for you?

>   2) Does rc.sysinit need to be corrected to properly detect and
>      set __BOOT_KERNEL_ENTERPRISE, __BOOT_KERNEL_UP and __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP
>      or are these being properly set somewhere else? It looks like

Those definitions are not used on S390 and normally no software should
depend on them.

>      not setting __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP in particular could generate a
>      problem. On my system, the kernel's been built for SMP, but
>      if the __BOOT_KERNEL_SMP define is not set, perhaps modules
>      are being incorrectly generated for non-SMP operation?

I am compiling all kernels as smp kernels. If that is really a major
performance problem, we have to think about changing this.
You should not use the SMP defined from rhconfig.h, but depend on
real kernel defines to have real portable Linux-kernel code. :-)

cu,

Florian La Roche

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]