Re: Stable backports

On 6/28/23 04:08, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:14:35 -0400
Joseph Salisbury <joseph.salisbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The latest two commits are still in linux-next and have not landed in
mainline as of yet (d15121be7485 and 2951580ba6ad).  Should I wait to
add them to the v5.15-rt stable tree and see if Greg adds them to his
trees first?
Well, they are in mainline now ;-)

But I just want to point out that our "upstream" is the next RT kernel
that we have. That is, you should wait till 6.1-rt has a commit before
you take it. 6.1 should wait till Sebastian's 6.3-rt has it.

That is, if a commit goes into Sebastion's tree, it's OK to backport.
But those backports are always added separately from merging a mainline
stable branch.

We merge stable branches by themselves and increment the -rt number
(and we do not need to post a shortlog for that, even though srt does).

Then we add backports as a separate release (and increment the -rt
number again).

-- Steve

This all makes sense to me now.  Thanks so much for the feedback, Sebastian and Steven!