Re: Problem with installing Informix with RPM

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Eran Ben Natan <eranb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an RPM that installs Informix 11.70.FC5.

I never got into the 11.70 release with my package, so not sure if it
adds some increased difficultly or changes.

> In the %post script I call the Informix installation script in silent mode:
>
> ./ids_install -i silent -DLICENSE_ACCEPTED=TRUE
> -DUSER_INSTALL_DIR=/data/Informix94 -DUNIX_INSTALLTYPE_SELECT=DEFAULT
> -DLICENSE_ACCEPTED=TRUE -DUSER_INSTALL_DIR=/data/Informix94
> -DIDS_INSTALL_TYPE=TYPICAL
>

> For some reason the script hangs after the installation completes and is not
> exiting. Running ids_install from console is working fine.
>
> The installer displays a progress bar during installation, I don't know if
> that’s has an effect.

So I have a few discussion points on this.

1: Why are you doing the install in %post rather than in %install?
Doing it in %install adds the following
     a: only have to run the ids_install once (on rpm build host)
     b: the RPM is more standards compliant (no text output, or
creating files in a %post section, etc)

2: Have you looked at their 'new' RPM?  I'm not sure I trust it just
yet, but depending on what you are doing it could save a lot of
effort.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v117/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.embed.doc%2Fids_emb_052.htm