Re: %config causing file conflict error

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM, jupiter <jupiter.hce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Greg. Please embedded comments.
>
> On 8/25/12, Greg Swift <gregswift@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As far as i am aware there is no disabling that.
>
> So there is not tag in rpm spec to have the same function of forcing
> installation (force replacement) without using --force? I thought if
> you can do something in rpm command line, it should have the same
> functional tag in spec, very much like to use "Autoreqprov: no,
> Autoprov: no, Autoreq: no" for --nodeps, right?

Most of those macros and functions are to affect things buring the RPM
build process, not at install time.  The ones you mentioned are not
actually equivilent to --nodeps.  They tell the built in RPM functions
to not try and 'discover' what teh requirements and provides are.
Typically you would use these because they are finding the wrong
things, or more than is necessary.  You would then use the manual
Requires and Provides to make the RPM dependency chain correct.
Turning them all off and then not manually specifying things does
behave similarly to --nodeps, but only because there are now no
dependencies.

>> I see what you are doing,  but can you explain why? Maybe we can give a
>> better answer knowing more.
>
> As I said, I have two applications sharing the same configuration file
> (There is a reason for doing it, let's not try to change it). If none
> of the application package is installed, the first one instals the
> configuration file, then the second application package should do
> nothing if it finds the configuration file has already been there.
> Although the "%config config.txt" is used in spec, I really don't mind
> if the configuration file is overwritten or not as long as it is
> there.

So if the applications MUST use the same config file I believe the
best path forward would be to break the config into a separate package
and have both of the original packages Require it.  You said that it
can have different content, depending on the two parent packages, but
I can also install both packages.  I would do my best to make sure the
config file works for both at the same time, and comes out of the box
that way from the separate package.