Re: Rpmbuild question.

On 05/04/2012 05:07 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: Rpmbuild question., Jim Lynch said (at 3:39pm on May 4, 2012):

I'm assuming it's pretty complicated to perform your tests in the build tree,
before any "install" target is executed, so the testing must be done when
the files are all in their final destination. With that in mind, the best
suggestion I can offer is
Hi Tim, and others.

Greg seems to have grokked my situation, or at least has a similar situation. I think I can use his solution.

I'll admit I have little or no experience in the finer details of building rpm files and don't use %prep, %build or %install since I have no idea what they do.

This is a set of C++ applications, (version controlled by subversion), a part of a system of programs. I use the gnu make utilities, aclocal, libtoolize, autoconf, automake, ./configure, etc. to build to /usr/local/bin, /etc, /usr/local/lib, etc. Then I use a minimal spec file with %description, %files and %post. My knowledge has been pieced together from examples and have never been exposed to the "correct" way of doing things. I've never seen any reference to the "always use a buildroot" suggestion mentioned in previous emails.

The programs are loosely related. They are mostly server programs accepting data from other sites and storing parts of that data in files and a database. Another program manages the space used by these programs and removes old data/orphans. One of the packages defines a library of common methods/objects used by the servers.

Thanks again to all that have contributed.

Jim.

Anyway this thread has been an eye opener for me and I'll have to