Re: Starting and stopping daemons?

rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/13/2012 05:01:43 PM:

> Is there any preexisting net.wisdom available on whether rpm's
> should/shouldn't stop or start the daemons they're changing?

In general I think most packages don't touch it.  The main one I can think
of that does is ssh.  The closest thing I see regarding this from Fedora
Packaging Guidelines is (not the definitive, but the one I use most) buried
in the ScripletSnippets page (
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets#Systemd) and
says:

On upgrade, a package may only restart a service if it is running; it may
not start it if it is off.

In the following page they discuss the use of 'condrestart' to ensure the
above behavior, doesn't talk about systemd handling though.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SysVInitScript

I thought I had seen something else stating something mroe specific but I
can't find it now.

-greg