Re: Is %defattr honored for automatically created parent directories of packaged files?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 04:33:12PM -0400, John Craws wrote:

> I'm trying to create an RPM package and ran into the following problem:
>
> ----
> %files
> %defattr(644,someuser,someuser,755)
>
> %attr(755,someuser,someuser) /opt/adirectory/sbin/myfile
> ---
>
> I can build the rpm and install it (/opt/adirectory does not exist).
> However, while /opt/adirectory/sbin/myfile will have the correct
> permissions and owner, /opt/adirectory/sbin will be owned by root when
> I expected it to be owned by someuser (because of the %defattr).

No, wrong expectation.  Parent directories for all files/directories
in the packages should already exist or be included in the package
itself, otherwise they end up to be created as root with some default
permission (not recommended, of course, and they won't be removed
when the package is removed).

> If I directly specify the inclusion of the /opt/adirectory/sbin
> directory, then it will have the correct owner. However, I do not want
> to do that as I do not want the RPM to 'own' /opt/adirectory/sbin'
> because I have to create other RPMs that also have to install files to
> /opt/adirectory/sbin and RPM will refuse to install them because of
> conflicts (if I use the same technique).
>
> I haven't been able to find information on how to do that. Is there a
> way to do what I intend to do using only the spec file?

If you have multiple packages including /opt/adirectory/sbin, decide
what owner/group/permission you want to give it and you can include
this directory in %files of *all* packages that need it.  As long as
the owner/group/permission is the same, no conflicts will occur.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>