Re: Old RPM database out of sync with installed packages

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Jeff Johnson wrote:

 To: Keith Roberts <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 From: Jeff Johnson <n3npq@xxxxxxx>
 Subject: Re: Old RPM database out of sync with installed packages

 On May 19, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> error: db4 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: > Requested page not found

 A Berkeley DB is organized into pages, and the pages are cached
 in /var/lib/rpm/__db* files.

 SO nuke those files
 	rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
 and run "rpm -qa" as root (non-root can't create these files
 and does something different) and the __db* files will be recreated.

>  If I do
> > #rpm -vv -Va I get tons of lines like this: > > D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Depends create mode=0x0
> error: rpmdb:  damaged header #1222 retrieved -- skipping.
> error: rpmdb:  damaged header #1222 retrieved -- skipping.
> error: rpmdb:  damaged header #1222 retrieved -- skipping.
> error: rpmdb:  damaged header #1222 retrieved -- skipping.

 OK, so your backup has a damaged header.

Well I think it's all OK now Jeff. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get this sorted.

I have rebuilt my yum cache, and also cleared my Smart Package Manager configuration, reinstalled the channels and updated my Smart channels. Then shut down Smart and backed up whats under /var/lib/smart/

So it looks like everything is back in sync again.

One thing I notice was there were 3 processes called rpmv running, that consumed alot of CPU time and memory. Each one was using 265MB each.

It seems these were from the rpm -Va command?

So I had to kill those and I got the system freed up after that.

Thanks again for all your help on this Jeff.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net