Re: possible to install an rpm in user space?

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Dave Burns wrote:

> I would google this and RTFM, but I must not be describing it well, I
> get useless hits.
>
> What I want to do is to take an rpm, and install it in my personal
> home directory without using root privileges, for my own use. Is this
> possible? What sort of keywords should I use to find this in the
> documentation or when searching with google?

It could be a useful option, but it is non-trivial to implement and
is not available currently.  See my prior message for a discussion
of a possible implementation.

You can kludge it for relocatable packages using --dbpath.  But you
would need dummy packages to represent what is already in the system
RPM database.  You can't write to system RPM database without root privilege.
Fuller support would open the system database read only in addition
to a read/write user specific database.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@xxxxxxxx>