RE: SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

At 10:57 PM -0600 11/28/06, Stanley, Jon wrote:

>>The "right" way would be to make a copy of the Packages file, check it, and
>>only save it if the check passes. According to Jeff, the proper check is
>>to do a "rpm --rebuilddb" with that Packages file and see if it works, but
>>I haven't tried that method.
>>--
>
>Is there some way to verify that a --rebuilddb *would* work against it?
>I have an aversion to modifying production data, for obviously good
>reason.

See "make a copy of the Packages file", above.  If that works, then it will
work.  Unfortunately, it won't tell you if the new database has any
significant difference from the old one, so if "rpm --verifydb" says the
database is OK and this works, you don't really know if there was a problem
previously unless RPM already puked.  (My bad database, acceptable to RPM
for most operations, did fail the "rpm --verifydb" check.)