Re: Handling deltarpms through librpm

On Nov 6, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Jos Vos wrote:

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:34:20PM -0600, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

I'm wondering how agnostic librpm (specifically rpmInstall()) is of
delta rpms. I'm trying to support Novell SUSE Enterprise as well as
RHEL, and it seems to be that deltarpms are the patch distribution
format of choice for SUSE.

AFAIK, delta rpms are SUSE-specific and support for it has never been
implemented by mainstream RPM versions.

One has to distinguish between delta rpms and patch rpms.

AFAIK, delta rpm's are just xdelta and can be handled outside of rpmlib.

patch rpms require merging the patch into the new header, which potentially adds a great deal of complexity to rpmlib. E.g. its entirely unclear what a digital
signature means on a merged rpm header.

73 de Jeff