Re: installing order != dependencies ?

In regard to: Re: installing order != dependencies ?, James Olin Oden said...:

On 11/2/06, Andrei Kazarov <Andrei.Kazarov@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with installing 2 dependent packages with "rpm -i": it
seems that the packages are installed on order that I give in the
command line, and not in the order of dependency. E.g. if PackageA
requires PackageB and I do

 > rpm -i PackageA.rpm PackageB.rpm

then PackageA is installed before PackageB. I need B to be installed
first, because in PackageA %post stage I need to access some files in
PackageB.

How can I guarantee the correct order not relying on the order of
packages in rpm -i?

Can you send a link to said packages srpms?

Beyond that do you have:

  Requires: PackageA

in the preamble of PackageB?

Remember that "Requires" isn't the same as "PreReq".  Jeff can give
a better explanation, but if PackageA must be installed *before* PackageB,
rather than at the same time as PackageB, then try using "PreReq"
instead of "Requires".

Jeff also added more fine-grained controls in RPM 4.0.1, for doing
stuff like this:

	Requires(pre): /path/to/command/from/packageA

in PackageB's spec, to indicate that its %pre requires a particular
command already be there.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx