%pre script failures in alternate root

Hi All -

	I'm installing a bunch of packages to an alternate root (rpm
--root option). _All_ my packages with %pre scripts fail like this:

error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping
tcpdump-3.7.2-0.0.0.5.0

	All the %post scripts run fine. 'rpm -vv' doesn't show any
additional info; it seems that the %pre scripts do not even get started.
Anybody know of any strange interaction between '--root' and %pre
scripts?

-Aaron