Re: Requiring that a package is not installed

On 10/16/06, Jeff Johnson <n3npq.jbj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Erez Zilber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My rpm requires that a certain package will not be installed in
> order to install it. How can I do that?

There are basically two ways:

1) Add a Conflicts:
       This causes any install with your package to fail if other pkgs is
currently installed.

2) Add an Obsoletes:
       The other package will be removed if installed.

Option 2) is often easier and smoother (if appropriate for your needs).

But note, that it will remove the "conflicting" package automatically.
When managining distributions this appropriate, but when just putting
a package out to be installed on various distros its rarely
appropriate (read somewhat suprising)...james