Re: Insert a %post into existing rpm?

In regard to: Insert a %post into existing rpm?, Daniel Grimwood said (at...:

I have a binary commercial rpm (Intel Compiler) that I would like to put
a %post script into.

The reason is that the rpm currently comes with an install script that
installs the (relocatable) rpm and then does some trivial modifications to
some of the files that got installed.  (It effectively replaces some tokens
with RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX in a few files.).  I'd like to stick those changes
straight into a %post script and repackage the rpm to simplify new installs
and upgrades.

If your goal is to avoid using their install script but you want the
same mods to happen under a procedure that's totally controlled by RPM,
look at using triggers.  The advantage is that you don't have to modify
their RPM in any way; you just install their RPM(s) without using the
install script, and the trigger you've written and installed can fire and
do the same thing the Intel install script would do.

The disadvantage is that if anyone ever uses the Intel install script to
do the install, your trigger will still try make the modifications.  This
may cause problems for either your trigger or the Intel install script,
depending on what the script does.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx