Re: multiple architectures and subpackages

On Sep 26, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Andrei Kazarov wrote:

Dear Gurus,

What is the scope of "BuildArch: " instruction of a spec file in case if subpackages are defined? Does it have a scope of a subpackage, as I would assume or is has a 'global' scope?

BuildArch: has the scope of a build. A build produces one or more packages. So ...
My example is following:
(Note that I'm not _compiling_ my binaries with RPM, here I'm only _packaging_ pre-built binaries for different architectures, so they could be later installed elsewhere)

packageA.spec:
Name:           PackA
BuildArch:   $(myarch)

%package sub1
BuildArch: noarch

%package sub2
BuildArch: i386

One of subpackages should contain files for particular architecture and the other one is containing files common for all architectures.

It results in that all subpackages are build for $(myarch) architecture, regardless what is defined in subpackages sections.

Is this expected or I'm missing something? I could create separate package for each architecture, but is there a way to do that in one .spec file? The related question: can I create a .spec file for a number of different architectures (e.g for i383 and x_86_64), and then run rpmbuild -bb for each of them (on different machines/platforms)?
E.g.
%package sub3
BuildArch: x86_64

... there's no way to produce sub-packages with a different arch from a build.

Well you can do some sick things with
    BuildArch: i386 noarch
and
    %ifarch noarch
    %else
    %endif
but I'm quite sure you will not be happy with the result, as very little is gained by
merging 2 disparate spec files under a %ifarch construct.

73 de Jeff