Matching the kernel source package with the kernel

Hi,

I'd like determine whether or not the appropriate kernel source package is installed for the currently running kernel.  Is there some standard way of determining the package name for various distributions and kernel versions?  For instance, kernel-smp-devel-2.6.9-22.0.2 goes with kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp, and 2.4.21-32.EL goes with kernel-source-2.4.21-32.EL.  I need to be able to handle source packages on Redhat, Suse, and Fedora Core.  Additionally, multiple source packages (for other kernels) could be installed on the filesystem.

I'm currently using a combination of scripting, C code, and uname to provide a solution.  However, the code is getting sloppy, and I'm not sure of all the different naming conventions for the different OS variants.  I'd like a cleaner solution.  Any ideas?

Also, I realize that this isn't strictly an RPM based question.  However, I though it might fit here, since it deals with RPM naming conventions for the kernel source packages.  If someone knows a better list for me to post to, please let me know, or go ahead and post it there for me.

Thanks.

Chris Wyse
Member of Technical Staff
Embedded Technologies