RE: Replacing Vendor rpms.

I'm not ignoring anyone, that'd be stupid.  I'm not that much of a
blockhead where I'd ask for help and then ignore it.  The general
consensus though, seems to be "Don't bother trying to do it", which
while I can accept as an operational answer and move on with the
project, isn't going to stop me from doing it anyways on a test box and
most likely borking the whole process and the os installation as well.
It's just that I'd rather know reasons why it's bad ( which Bob gave )
rather than just being told so that it was bad and not to do it.

So, while I appreciate your comments about OpenLDAP and sources I could
go for building the latest version, it sort of missed the point (
probably due to my vague descriptions and not knowing the right
questions to actually ask ).

In fact, the true answer seems to be that I should have read more on the
dependancy chapter in the RPM docs, since it pretty much states my
mistake in bold letters.

"Note that this is not a filename. In fact, no aspect of RPM's
dependency processing is based on filenames. Many people new to RPM
often make the assumption that a failed dependency represents a missing
file. This is not the case."

And if I truly wanted to attempt this, I would have to fool around with
the Makefile and compile the libs with the appropriate sonames to
resolve the dependency issue ( which is what Frank originally stated,
but I was oblivious to sonames and most of Linux's lib linking
mechanisms, something I'm reading up on now! ).

Again, Tonni, I truly do appreciate any help and didn't mean to give any
suggestion that I was ignoring your comments ( I already have Buchan's
page bookmarked and the source downloaded. :) )

--
sh