Re: Why this rpmlint error with Perl provides [SOLVED]

Posting for the next person grepping the archive for a
solution to this problem.

This thread started with:
> I'm packaging a CPAN module POE::Queue and my rpm
> builds fine, but 'rpmlint -i
> ../RPMS/noarch/perl-POE-Queue-0.37-1.noarch.rpm'
gives
> the following errors:
> E: perl-POE-Queue useless-explicit-provides
> perl(POE::Kernel)
> This package provides 2 times the same capacity. It
> should only provide it
> once.
>
> E: perl-POE-Queue useless-explicit-provides
> perl(POE::Loop::Tk)
> This package provides 2 times the same capacity. It
> should only provide it
> once.

Jeff's response led me to the solution and the cause
of the problem.

The author(s) of this CPAN package declared the
POE::Kernel and POE::Loop::Tk namespaces in multiple
files, probably in order to split the packages over
several files. (Forgive me if my Perl nomenclature is
wrong... been a while since I heavily used Perl) This
caused the/usr/lib/rpm/perl.prov script for automated
provides generation reported these capabilities
repeatedly.

Jeff's first guess at a shell script to solve this may
be right on; here's my final version
(SOURCES/perl-POE-Queue_fix_provides.sh):

#!/bin/sh

/usr/lib/rpm/perl.prov | sed -e
's/^perl(POE::Kernel)$//' -e
's/^perl(POE::Loop::Tk)$//'

Jeff's might not work because numerous numberless
'perl(POE::Kernel)' lines and only one numbered one
were in fact generated. I assumed it may be that the
numberless ones needed deletion. I did not test this
assumption.

I set the execute permission bit, but worried that
rpmbuild might not remember this and that some
additional trickery would be needed; I was wrong and
rpmbuild got it right.

The following two lines were inserted in the spec
file:
Source1:        perl-POE-Queue_fix_provides.sh
%define __perl_provides %{SOURCE1}

All works fine, and won't be too hard the next time.

Thank you Jeff!
-al