Re: noobie question about including any file in my rpm

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I have a GNU build system gzipped tar file in the SOURCES dir, I have a
> file, that is not compiled but it is tracked by the build system.  I
> can't seem to get it included in the RPM file.  How do I get any file I
> want put in the rpm file?

By including it in the %files section.

> I tried putting it in the filesystem

Where did you put it in the filesystem?  Please be specific.

> and declaring it in te %files section but I get an error from
> rpmbuild that it can't find the file.  What might I be doing wrong?

You probably did not include it into the rpm build root area.  All
files listed in %files need to be found in the rpm build root area.
That is a staging area where an installation image is created and
packaged.  You must put the file there.

Typically in the spec file you will find a %install section.  In the
%install section you will find a %makeinstall macro that will expand
to be 'make install DEST=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT' which will copy files with
the gnu automake makefile to the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT area.  That would
probably be a good place to also copy your additional file.

  %install
  %makeinstall
  cp my_special_etc_file $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/
  cp my_special_bin_file $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/bin/

Bob