my rpm command no longer works

Dear friends,

Got a weird problem with rpm command on my rhel3 server.
I happened quite suddenly. the problem now is, whenever I do anything realted to with rpm command it doesnt work.

say if I rpm -Uvh clamadxxxx.rpm

it will inform me that this and that dependencies , this and that files missing etc. But its not supposed to be..coz I am sure I don't have all those depended files in the machine and I never uninstall those files. I have done those similar rpm installation of the clamd softwares before, never have such problem with the dependencies, I was just doin exqctly the same reinstalltion but it gave me such dependencies problem.

So, then I cannot rpm -Uvh. But then when I try rpm -q something, it gives me no result. When I do rpm -qa | grep xxx, it also feeds nothing back. I tried to rpm -q all the programs I am sure I had installed with rpm b4, but it feeds nothing back. I have installed squid.rpm in that machine b4, so i did rpm -q squid but it says nothing.

Sure now I am pretty sure something is wrong with my rpm command, but how to fix it?
I need that rpm command to upgrade my clamd in future or to do other rpm installations....

pls help me...have anyone met this problem before? its weird...just came out of the blue...

thanks for taking time reading my thread..

Regards
Niceman一個好人