Re: fakeroot

John Pye wrote:
> I came across a very neat approach used by the debian people when
> building packages, and given the difficulties that can arise when
> writing "%files" sections in RPMs,

What difficulties are those?  I am drawing a blank.

> I thought I would ask the list: is 'fakeroot' available with the RPM
> system, and would it be of use in building RPMs?

The fakeroot program is available if you have installed it.  I do not
believe it is a standard component of any rpm based distro however.

First, never build packages as real root.  Any package that thinks it
needs real root to build is a buggy package and should be fixed.

Debian's dpkg uses the permissions stored in the tar.gz file (embedded
in the .deb package file) to hold the ownership the file will be
installed as when the package is installed.  Therefore fakeroot plays
in integral part is being able to set those owners arbitrarily while
building the package.

Red Hat's rpm contains a %attr(-,root,root) directive that overrides
the owners stored in the embedded cpio of the .rpm file.  Therefore
generally fakeroot is not needed with rpm.  Simply use %attr to set
the ownership as you require them to be set.  You will still see the
builder's ownership in the .rpm file (e.g. rpm2cpio) but at
installation time the ownership will be set by rpm explicitly.

> Perhaps fakeroot's trickery can't be supported on Fedora/Redhat systems
> for some reason. I'd like to know if/why.
> http://fakeroot.alioth.debian.org/

Works fine for me.

Bob