RE: Is there any way of creating a simple install rpm with no source?

Yes, I do it that way all the time.

You need to create what I call a staging directory
E.g. /home/me/work/stage/opt/software/
Set your BuildRoot in the Spec file to the stageing directory:
BuildRoot: /home/me/work/stage/
Place your files in the staging directory (which in this example are
going to be place at base directory of /opt/software )
SO you will end up with under the BuildRoot staging directory like this
/opt/software/bin/files
/opt/software/config/files
/opt/software/lib
Make sure you set your attributes to in the %file section or you will
end up with root (or what ever installer is called) as the owner and the
default system permissions on the files.

Run rpmbuild -bb myspec.spec (where myspec.spec is YOUR spec file) and
it should build.

I may have skipped a critical step or too so look at the online build
references.

Reference: MaxRPM book on line at rpm.org at
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/
and also the online Redhat RPM guide at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/
both theses books cover a chunk of basic of what you want to do much
better then I just did.

Michael A. Duran