specfile & %doc

Hello,
   I have a spec file for a program that has worked fairly well. I
wanted to modify it to include some extra example scripts in the
/usr/share/doc/program_name-version directory. I added the mkdir and cp
statements to the specfile after the install portion. They run, however
when packaging the directory gets deleted. I see in the output that it
runs
Executing(%doc): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47825

In the /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47825 I see the following.

export DOCDIR
rm -rf $DOCDIR
/bin/mkdir -p $DOCDIR

and then a copy statement that is supposed to put the files back,
however it no longer has the files I copied into that location. How is
this supposed to work? I have the maximum RPM book, however I'm in the
process of moving so it is in a truck a few hundred kilometers away.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions