Re: patching binaries at install time without breaking rpm -V?

Jeff Johnson wrote:

On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Christian Goetze wrote:

How do people manufacture relocatable binary rpms when the binaries in question have hardwired paths in them?

You don't.

You patch the binary to get the hardwired path into a config file, then write the config file in a relocatable fashion.

In other words, I need to dig into the internals of every third party piece of ... , deal with the future merging and still not have a solution for those situations where I wish to embed the third party object as a shared object... libperl.so anyone?

I guess every release engineer automatically becomes a distro maintainer -sigh-

I think I'll try %verify scriptlets and keep my own stash of md5 hashes...

[...]

I really wished that software writers would use the equivalent of perl's FindBin construct to construct their internal search paths...

rpm isn't implemented in perl. Feel free to use perl and python and ruby and whatever else you wish however.

I wasn't really talking about rpm, even though it too could profit from these ideas, I guess... Perhaps the java people have it right after all with their gazillions of XYZ_HOME environment variables - then at least, you have a shot...
--
cg