Re: How -U option work in RPM?

On 11/14/05, Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:55:59PM +0530, shekhar vaggu wrote:
>
> > I tried the same but still the same scripts ( preun and postun ) which are
> > part of older version rpm are being executed after doing this check
> > also.Byany chance can we supress this so that this will not be
> > executed at all.
>
> You can only disable *all* (pre/post*) script execution in an RPM
> transaction with --noscripts, for the rest you can't change the
> behavior of the already installed packages (and the script they
> carry with them).

Actually, there is --nopre, --nopost, --nopreun, --nopostun and --notriggers.

As an aside this is a very common problem, and that is a package is
deployed where the erase scriptlets did not get tested thoughrly
enough.  In this case the upgrade path was not tested.  In some ways
its a harder test because you don't have the new version of the
package to test against the current version.  That said this is
somewhat easy to simulate by just uping the releasing in the specfile
and building a package from that to test the current packages erase
scriptlets on the upgrade path.

I've often thought of a horrible hack of writting a little CLI, that
will basically rebuild the package on the live system with cerrtain
scriptlets replaced (i.e. patching the broken erase scriptlets).  This
idea makes me cringe though as it violates several packaging rules and
such, so I never end up doing, and the real problem is lack of solid
QA.

Cheers...james