In the hope that it'll help someone else ...

Together
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ and Maximum (transfer
them both to any ws with 'wget -cNEkpm -np -nH -nv $url') represent an
enormous fund of rpm knowledge for erstwhile ignorami seeking rpm
info, such as myself.

The trouble was, that finding relevant info in both of them (at the same
time) was almost impossible. Almost nothing is properly cross-
referenced/hyperlinked; the best cross-referenced doco I know of is the
Postfix >= 2.2 stuff, but even that's not easy to search in; read on.

I have a RHAS4 semi-production/test server running on an IBM T23
ThinkPad notebook (1GB RAM, 80GB disk, something I develop on at
home and drag around with me to clients). It runs apache (httpd)
2.0.52-19 and swish-e-2.4 (the last is not a RH rpm, it's a proprietary
rpm, see http://Swish-e.org).

By bunging the Fedora and Maximum htmls into a common /var/www
directory, using httpd and indexing the htmls in that directory with the
swish-e cgi in /var/www/cgi-bin, I can now search both Fedora and
Maximum (at the same time) on "words" and phrases. It works a bit like
Google.

To search for words beginning with "%" or "-", use the following in
swish.conf:

WordCharacters   -%0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
BeginCharacters   -%0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

It saves me a whole bunch of searching
for elusive contexts in the original doco and as I say, hope that this
helps someone ...

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw