error: can't create transaction list

Hi,
I am a total Linux newbie and need to plain and simple layman help.
Please forgive me if I have mailed the wrong list (I'm also new to the
concept of mailing lists)

I have Fedora 4 setup and working (mostly I think)

I am trying to follow the tutorial to set up a mail server at:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p3

I'm not following the full tutorial as I already have Apache and MySQL
set up.

I'm trying to use rpm to get apt. I've never used rpm before. I'm trying
to use the following command:
rpm -ivh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/apt-0.5.15cnc7-6.fc4.i386.rpm

I've checked the URL and it seems valid. But I am getting the following
error message.

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

I would like some assistance with this error.

Or possibly someone can point me in the direction of a better tutorial
for setting up a suitable mail server on Fedora 4. My requirements are:

I would like a POP/SMTP mail server or better yet an IMAP server.
I want to use virtual domains and if possible I would like a nice GUI
interface for admin/configuration.

Under Windows I've successfully used the open source hmail server, which
was very good for my needs. Adding virtual hosts/domains and adding
users was very easy via an intuitive UI. If there is anything like this
for Fedora Linux I would be very interested.

Any plain English help and/or advice anyone can provide would be very
appreciated.

Many Thanks

ShootingStar