Re: install files but don't remove

Jeremy Lyon <Jeremy.Lyon@xxxxxxxxxx> on 11/08/2005 10:38 AM asked:

> Is there a way to designate a file in the %files section to be installed
but
> not removed during a rpm -e?  I'm sure I can accomplish it with %preun
and
> %postun scripts that would copy the file off to a file not owned by the
package
> and then put it back in place, but I'm looking for a cleaner way of doing
> this if possible.

I don't know if there is an official way to do it, but I just
had to accomplish the same thing.  I did it by moving it out of the
way during the uninstall, and putting it back when done, like this:

%preun
mv myprog myprog.save

%postun
mv myprog.save myprog

The downside is:
a) I think its ugly,
b) what happens when the RPM craps out between preun and postun, and
c) it generates an ugly error msg on the screen, when it can't find myprog
to uninstall.