rpm-debuginfo

The rpm package binaries comes with no debugging info. So when I try to look
at data in gdb I getting no info on things like header data etc.

I have installed the rpm-debuginfo. It does not come with any docs. And I can
not figure out how to use it? DOH! Can someone tell me where to start? Or
point me to a doc??

Also I have tried to rebuild the src rpm for the rpm package with rpmbuild.
That leads to a seemingly never ending list of other packages it needs. That
in the end conflicts badly with my glibc. Starts with python2. This is on SUSE 10.

When I tried just downloading a tarball of rpm, running ./configure and
make.It dies in elfutils ....... as I remember ... the code is at the office.

Is there a way I can build rpm with debugging turned on at compile time? Or a
rpm package out there that was built with the debugging?

Thanks,
Jim