Re: how can I merge and deprecate packages

Toralf Lund <toralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/02/2005 07:12 AM added:

>Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>I've inherited a number of RPMs that have been constructed as seperate
>>packages,
>>however all their stuff should have really been bundled into a single
>>package.
>>
>>- How would you go about the migration process to combine all the
packages
>>  into one, and get rid (forget) the old packages?
>>
>>- What would the packages look like during this process? [ ... ]
>>

>I'm not sure I understand about the reboot you mention,

Its just that in my system/environment, a reboot of the system must
occur after every invocation of 'rpm'.  This implies that whatever
solution is suggested, it has to be atomic in nature.

>but isn't what
>you are looking for essentially the "Obsoletes" mechanism? You do
>
>Obsoletes: PkgA PkgB
>in NewPkg.spec.

Yes, that could be.

Since its not defined in the Maximum RPM book. Where can I read more about
it?

>Then use -U, not -i, to install (You should consider "-U" as the normal
>way of installing, and "-i" as a special case, IMO.)

OK.