Re: how can I merge and deprecate packages

Hi Fulko,

The rule requiring a reboot after each package install/remove sounds absurd. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why that rule and the "no rpm -e" restriction exist. Why are you even using RPM? With these restrictions it's bloody useless. I would think that it would not be possible to run an RPM command from a pre/post script because there would be a deadlock on the RPM database. That's just speculation on my part though. I would also think that you would need to be able to perform an rpm -U (upgrade) in addition to rpm -i (install). Here's an idea: just install the new package with "--replacefiles" and just leave the deprecated packages there. (It's ugly as hell, but no less ugly than using RPM with those rules and restrictions.)

Regards,

-Rob

Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've inherited a number of RPMs that have been constructed as seperate
packages,
however all their stuff should have really been bundled into a single
package.

- How would you go about the migration process to combine all the packages
 into one, and get rid (forget) the old packages?

- What would the packages look like during this process?

For example:

Pkg A  Pkg B  -> New Pkg
-----  -----     -------

fileA  fileC     fileA
fileB  fileD     fileB
                fileC
                fileD

But during the migration, the following 'system' rules/restrictions also
apply.

a) I have to reboot the machine after every package install/remove.
b) No file must ever be missing (because they are all needed during the
reboot).
c) I have no way of performing an 'rpm -e' unless its part of a pre/post
install
  script of an RPM being installed.  So everything must be done via 'rpm
-i'.

TIA
Fulko