Re: rpm exit codes

In fact, my original question was that I have a separate install script
that executes rpm to install a specific rpm and I wanted to be able to
determine from the exit code that rpm itself returned why the install of
the specific rpm failed, much like Matt described.  Apparently, rpm does
not return a reason why the install failed, but only that it failed.
Too bad, it would have been nice to determine the cause of the failure
and perhaps fix the problem or at least tell the user why it failed.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:28:56PM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> > > Normal shell scripting.
> > What do you mean by that?
> The whole %install routine gives access to a shell environment. You
have
> complete access to the shell error codes and can test for whatever
OP
> wants.

One of us is misunderstanding the original question. I think it's you,
but I
could be wrong. :)

I believe the question was about the exit codes of *rpm itself*, and
the
"install script" in question is a script that calls the rpm command
line
program, not the "%install" section in the RPM.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.mattdm.org/>