Re: "rpmbuild" to do prep and configure?

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 12:11 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Paul Nasrat wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 10:09 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   i'm experimenting with rebuilding "lftp" from the src rpm file, and
> > > i was curious to see the Makefile generated from the configure step in
> > > the spec file:
> > >
> > > %configure --with-modules --disable-static --with-ssl --with-debug
> > >
> > >   i realize that rpmbuild doesn't have an option that lets me stop
> > > after the configure step without going on to the actual make.
> >
> > You are possibly confusing the overloading of % in the spec file.
> >
> > It is used as a section marker (%prep,%build,%install,%clean,%files,etc)
> > which the appropriate build sections corresponds to rpmbuild -bp, -bc
> > -bi, etc.  You can thus stop at one of those stages
> >
> > %configure is a macro (rpm -E '%configure') used in the %build section,
> > so you can't just step to the stage.
> >
> > Just add "exit 1" between the configure and the make macros in %build,
> > then you can inspect and remove the terminating command
>
> actually, i knew most of the above, i was just whining about how it
> would have been nice if there had in fact been an actual, explicit
> configure stage associated with an rpmbuild option.  darn.

I know it's against the usual practice, but sometimes I've placed
configure in %prep and not in %build as the configure process just
"prepares" the source tree for complilation. But of course this may
result in surprise to those who expect a more standard placement.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo